Last week Kate and I had dinner at Paul K, which is just around the corner from our place.
Dinner was great. All the food was unique and delicious. The service was pretty much perfect. The servers were young yet professional. We asked questions about the menu and they commented how “most people don’t know what that is, and don’t ask.” They were happy to explain.
The drinks were mediocre, especially sad since they were $15 each. We wanted wine with dinner but the wine list is ridiculously long and expensive. The server recommended the Michael Mina house cab which was excellent.
There is only a three course pre fixe menu. Each course we got actually consisted of a plate with 3 small tastings on it. I liked the format a lot, we were able to try a lot of different foods.
The bar room has a good looking menu, but it’s a very uncomfortable seating situation and i’ll never eat there.
Summary: I will be back. But you won’t find me here as frequently as you will at Gary Danko. I think Danko is as good, though slightly less experimental. Danko is also about 30% less cash. You can pretty much walk into Michael Mina without a reservation, which is a huge plus when you get a last minute craving for a nice meal.
I don’t know why this place doesn’t get more credit. We’ve been about a dozen times, it’s soooo good.
- Incredible, interesting appetizers. Tuna Carpaccio with truffle oil is a must!
- Some of the best fish I’ve ever had. The salmon and tuni will simply melt in your mouth. Great for people who have lost their teeth!
- Awesome rolls. They’ve figured out how to mix ingredients like asparagus, avocado, and sauces to make good flavors
- The best drinks in the city. Their menu is split between “Gin drinks” and “non gin drinks”. Kate loves this
- The “Tsunami old fashioned” is the best Old Fashioned I’ve ever had. The Basil Gimlet is the best Kate’s ever had
- The dude next to us was like “I like beer”, the bartender said they have Hitachino. Awesome. That’s the only good Japanese beer
- The same dude said, naw, how about mixing something with vodka? The bartender said they focus on gin. Awesome. Vodka is disgusting. And I respect a place that takes their menu/tastes seriously enough to tell someone they can’t give him what he wants
- We got free dessert sake last time
We’ve been here many times and always leave so impressed and happy. You really need to check this place out. I know @tomloverro loves this place too 🙂