Kate and I had a wonderful time in Ireland earlier this month. Here’s a quick summary of what we did and what we loved.
- Saturday: Landed in Dublin and explored the city
- Sunday: Explored Dublin, Book of Kells, Guinness tour
- Monday: Drove to Galway. Then drove to Cliffs of Moher.
- Tuesday: Drove to Connemara
- Wednesday: Drove to Killarney and explored the town
- Thursday: Tour of Ring of Kerry then drove to Kilkenny
- Friday: Explored Kilkenny
- Saturday: Drove to Dublin airport and flew home
Overall a lot of driving but I loved it. We had a VW Golf TDI for the week. Really great car. It was my first time driving a diesel! The roads in Ireland were some of the most fun I’ve ever driven. We spent little time on the motorways, and most time on curvy and hilly regional roads. Always beautiful. We clocked about 1k kilometers!
The food in Ireland was much better than I expected. Whether we were at a nice restaurant or just a pub, everything was fresh and delicious. Between Ireland and New Zealand, I’m really starting to see that if you have fresh ingredients, you don’t need to do much to have great food. Why isn’t food in the US as fresh?
And of course we drank well. Lots and lots of beer. Basically every pub we went to had Smithwicks, Guinness, Heineken, Bud, Coors light, and Bullmers. I definitely could have used an IPA after a while (or any variety for that matter!).
We loved Ireland and hope to go back in the future so we can see the north as well.